As most of you know, pizza is the ultimate food for me! I can seriously eat this everyday, for every meal. Well….maybe. Anyhoos. I honestly do miss Paisanos Pizza in Hong Kong- I used to walk by Central and grab a slice for equivalent of around $3 per slice and it was huge (yea yea…I know that usually prompts “that’s what she said”…) but BACK to topic: It was literally the size of my face! And the best part? They deliver 24” pizzas. That’s right. You literally have to tilt the pizza 60 degrees in order to get it through the doorway!
I’m always on the quest for find the pizza and I think I hit it close to home with Bibo– it is amazing: thin, chewy and the crust is to die for!! Obviously I wanted to replicate this and in my search, I found this thick chewy pizza dough recipe. I must admit, it’s not close to Bibo’s but it’s different from my previous recipe which was more of a thin crispy crust. This one is a thick crust and oh-so-chewy 🙂
Thick & Chewy Pizza Dough: (adapted from www.recipes.com)
Recipe makes 1 GIANT (oh yeaaaaa) pizza crust
– 2 1/4 tablespoons instant yeast
– 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
– 1 1/2 cups warm water
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1. In a large bowl, mix flour, salt, sugar and yeast.
2. Add in warm water and oil.
3. Mix dough and knead (I used my KA mixer: mix on speed 2 with your dough hook for around 6 – 7 minutes). Feel free to add a bit more flour if dough is too sticky or more water if the dough is too dry.
4. Place the dough into a well oiled bowl, cling wrap and cover with towel. Let the dough rise until doubled; this should take about 1 hour.
5. Once it has risen, punch down the dough, and form a tight ball. Allow the dough to relax for a minute before rolling out.
6. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. If you are baking the dough on a pizza stone, you may place your toppings on the dough, and bake immediately. If you are baking your pizza in a pan, lightly oil the pan, and let the dough rise for 15 or 20 minutes before topping and baking it.
7. Top pizza with desired ingredients!
8. Brush crust with olive oil (I totally missed this step!)
9. Bake pizza until cheese and crust are golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes.