Pie is not one of my favorite desserts out there but I have to say that a flaky pie crust with gooey apple filling + a scoop of Hagen Daz vanilla ice-cream is simply irresistible 😉
I have to say this crust is super simple to make with an electronic mixer and it came out supppperrrr flaky!! Definitely a keeper!
Flaky Pie Crust (Source from AllRecipes.com)
Recipe makes 1 pie crust or 10 – 12 mini pies (muffin tin size) with top crust
– 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
– ¼ teaspoon salt
– ½ cup shortening, chilled
– 3 tablespoons ice water
– Whisk the flour and salt together in a medium size bowl. With a pastry blender, cut in the cold shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs (OR you can add shortening to the flour mixture in a stand mixer and whip with the paddle attachment). Drizzle 2-3 tablespoons ice water over the mixture. Toss mixture with a fork to moisten, adding more water a few drops at a time until the dough comes together.
– Gently gather dough particles together into a ball. Wrap in a plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes before rolling.
– Roll out dough and put in pie plate/ muffin tin.
Since I returned from a trip to Okanagan recently, I had a few too many peaches and decided to do half peach and half apple pies for our BBQ dessert:
Mini Apple/ Peach Pies (Adapted from DelishMegish.com)
Recipe makes 10 – 12 mini pies
– 1 Golden Delicious or Granny Smith apple
– ¼ cup brown sugar
– 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
– Pinch of salt (less than ¼ teaspoon)
– 1 large peach
– 3 tablespoons brown sugar
– 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Roll out pie crust to about ¼ inch thick. Cut out circles large enough to fill the muffin tin. You can always trim excess on the side.
3. Prepare egg wash: Beat one egg in a small bowl. Add 1 teaspoon water and mix.
4. Create apple and peach filling.
5. Assembly: Put round crust to fill each muffin tin and trim excess. Spoon in filling and top off with couple spoons of the sweet marinade. Using the leftover pie crust, cut out long thin strips to form the top crust. Using the egg wash, brush over top crust and dust with extra brown sugar.
6. Bake in oven until light golden brown, about 20 – 25 minutes.
Note: EAT IMMEDIATELY AND SERVE HOT 🙂